Our mountain is like no other festival in the world.
'Where the land touches the sky and the sun cuddles nature'
The monastery bell chimes to the 6th chapter of Meadows In The Mountains Festival and what an epic 6 years it has been.
Another time we well tell the story of how lucky we are to still be here, bringing together all of you beautiful people to remember to resonate with the basics.
Friends, family, love, music, and nature.
Our family welcomes you back to the beautiful landscapes of Bulgaria to once again recreate the magic mystery and true sense of community that the festival represents. MITM is made by the people that attend; not the exquisite line up that is presented to you.
Welcome festival goers, hedonists and those born with a penchant for social experimental adventure. Please step gently aboard this flying contraption minding your heads and heels as we embark upon a voyage across the seven seas to the very heart of the Rhodopian Mountains, Bulgaria; an untouched and unravished bastion of nature in this harsh world of open busy buildings, urban sprawl and concrete jungles.
Set in the exceptionally beautiful surroundings of the Rhodope Mountains lies the quaint Bulgarian village of Polkovnik Serafimovo. 850m above sea-level and a stones throw away from the Greek border, this enchanting village is where Meadows in the Mountains likes to call home. Historically the country has been invaded and conquered by the Roman Empire, Gengis Khan, Alexander the Great
As a result the local area has a rich cultural heritage including ancient Thracian sites such as Perperikon and Tatul; medieval castles, churches, monasteries and scenic villages with traditional Bulgarian architecture from 18th and 19th century.
It is through this very tradition that the Sasse family and friends have the most great and humble pleasure in inviting you all to cast aside your daily woes, shrug off the binding chains of the 9-5 and indulge in a debauched weekend of mind-expanding experience, community and free spirit to skip through the fields and forests with untamed abandon and to lay with the fireflies and nighttime skies in the long grass.
Legend has it that this mountain range was homeland of the mythological singer Orpheus. Orpheus was a legendary musician, poet, and prophet in ancient Greek religion and myth. His accolades are centered on his ability to charm all living things and even stones with his music; Like Orpheus, Meadows in the Mountains invites you to be charmed by our music along with the beautiful scenery and people of Bulgaria.
In an eggshell MITM is not about an A List lineup – it's the genuine atmosphere which is created by the loving Meadows clan who revel in the sense of escapism.
Fundamental to our ethos is the wildlife and fauna that covers the festival site.
We love the planet and we love Bulgaria!
Finally, we wanted to explain our ongoing plan to leave a positive trace on our Mountain.
We are working closely with the Bulgarian government to help the local community by bringing much needed business to the area.
The structures we build are permanent and plans are in motion to start a community in the village which will sustain itself by growing its own food sources and harnessing eco technologies.
Holistic and spiritual studies and workshops will bring trade all year around and be the at the centre of village life. So watch this space......
The Orpheus Pool Party is the perfect way to end a magical meadows experience in a beautiful rural spa. It takes place on the 12th of June, the day after the festival has ended.
Included in the ticket price is a coach from the festival village to the Hotel at around 10am on the 12th, a room in the hotel for one night, access to the Jacuzzi, pools and spa and breakfast the next day. The perfect way to decompress, get naughty and dance around the indoor and outdoor pools with some of our finest Meadows DJ’ s. This hotel is reportedly on the site where the greek god Orpheus was born, the god of poetry and dance.
The Meadows Family love our mountain and the rest of the natural world.
That is why we have several policies in place to protect it:
1) Leave no trace: Leave the mountain in its natural state. All packaging used on site must be either multiple use or biodegradable. Cigarette butts are toxic for soil and water, so we have introduced a cigarette butt recycling scheme.We recommend picking up an affordable portable ashtray, and a reusable cup. You can also buy the cups on site. Help us to keep our mountain beautiful.
2) Reducing our carbon emissions: Climate change is a death threat so we encourage you to take lower carbon forms of transport, such as trains, and we offsetting the emissions from our air travel by planting trees. Our partner, Eden Reforestation Projects, plant trees in the tropics where they can be most effective at absorbing C02. Please donate £2 to our crowdfunder to help plant our first Meadows Forest in Nepal, to offset the emissions from your travel. Another option is to have a magical train experience to the festival, whizzing through mountain ranges and along azure coastlines. For more information on the festival’s carbon generation and reduction strategies, click here.
3) Composting Toilets and Food Waste: We very much believe in the power of organic matter as transformative, regenerative material that we can use to feed the soil on the mountain. This year, we are introducing compostable toilets and food composting bins so that we can turn what we have always thought of as waste into a powerful material for vegetative regeneration of our environment on the mountain.
Together we can make sure our little parcel on this precious planet is healthy and happy.
Embedded in the Rhodopian Mountains near Bulgaria's Greek border, the festival is promising a "jaw-dropping setting that is unmatched anywhere on the planet.
When a festival is inspired by Burning Man, you know it's going to be wild. And what a setting for it: not only a getaway from bustling cities, the meadows offer fantastic views of a landscape that should put a whole new spin on dancing 'til the sun comes up.
Our doors are always open to like-minded people who wish to experience the festival as a volunteer.
In exchange for your help we'll sort you out with a festival ticket and 3 meals a day per working shift.
Dirt cheap accommodation can also be reserved for those who wish to stay in a house in the village or alternatively you can camp for free.
Positions such as build and decor crew, artist liaisons, runners, production office attendants, info point crew and gate stewards are available.
If you have relevant experience or think you have something to offer, we would love to here from you.
Please drop us a line with a brief description on your experience and what you would like to do on email@example.com.
If you have an art installation proposal for Meadows 2015 we would love to see it.
We are a small festival with limited resources but with the imagination and creativity of some amazing people we have made magical things happen.
Environment and sustainability are key points of focus when making your application as we very much respect the mountain on which we party.
Locally sourced timber and recycled materials are the main build product on site so please tailor your design to suit.
Please send us a brief description, rough proposed dimensions and sketches or visual references on firstname.lastname@example.org. Many thanks.
A core element of building the Meadows community involves us embracing a platform for traders and workshops to come and share their wares and knowledge.
Whether it involves food or drink, jewellery, clothes stalls and even holistic workshops, we would love you to join us on the mountain.
To help us along with your enquiry please provide us with the following information in your proposal.
1) What are you bringing to share with us in the Meadows?
2) What pitch size do you require?
3) As Meadows is based on a mountain ridge, electricity and water have to be generated and bought to the site. Other than basic lighting, will you need water or additional electricity to be provided?
4) If you are considering trading in consumables, do you have a current food/ hygiene license?
Please send all your applications on email@example.com.